The FBI field office in Albany, the capital of New York, covers 32 counties in northern New York and 14 counties in Vermont. It encompasses six resident agencies in New York (Binghamton, Ithaca, Kingston, Plattsburgh, Syracuse and Utica) and two in Vermont (Burlington and Rutland). Albany is one of the FBI’s earliest bases with agent activity dating back as early as 1918.
Joining the FBI in Albany
The Albany field office supports FBI jobs allowing talented men and women to serve as special agents or in such non-agent positions as intelligence analysts, forensic scientists, engineers, accountants or electronics experts. Basic requirements for a special agent job include:
- Citizen of the U.S.
- Between 23 and 36 years of age
- Bachelor’s degree or better
- Two or more years’ professional experience
- Strong desire to fight terrorism and crime
- Grand Canyon University - B.S. in Justice Studies and M.S. in Criminal Justice
- SNHU - A.S. in Criminal Justice, B.S. in Criminal Justice - Criminology, and M.S. in Criminal Justice
- Liberty University - Online Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice
- Strayer University - Bachelors of Science Degree in Criminal Justice
- Saint Joseph's University - Online Master of Science in Criminal Justice
- Utica College - BS and MS Degrees in Cyber Intelligence, Cybercrime Instigations, Monitoring and Surveillance, Fraud and Financial Crime Investigation, Criminal Intelligence Analysis, and more.
FBI jobs in Albany require applicants to sit for a battery of written and other tests, including a drug test, medical exam, physical fitness test and thorough background investigation. Individuals accepted must successfully complete a 10-week training in Quantico, VA.
Interested persons can visit or call the field office at 200 McCarthy Ave., Albany NY 12209, Tel: 518/465-7551. Although the field office operates 24 hours a day, seven days a week, walk-in hours are 8:15 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. Information and applications are also available online at the FBI JOBS website.
FBI Jobs in Albany
The Albany field office has a large staff that includes special agents, intelligence analysts and a wide variety of specialized professionals. Many of these staff members work in teams with specific capabilities, including:
- Evidence Response Team (ERT) – special agents and others highly trained in such aspects of evidence gathering/analyzing as fingerprints, blood splatters, bullet trajectories, DNA, etc.
- Computer Analysis Response Team (CART) – experts at retrieving, processing and analyzing evidence from a full range of computers and digital devices.
- Specialized Weapons and Tactics Team (SWAT) – trained to enter terrorist and criminal hideouts to make arrests, free hostages, etc.
- Crisis Negotiation Team – special agents trained to negotiate in crisis and hostage situations.
- Translation Team – Individuals proficient in a variety of languages translate documents/audio files and assist agents conducting interviews.
The Albany field office also employs a bomb expert, a person capable of providing emergency medical treatment during crisis responses; and a Victim Assistant.
FBI Successes in Albany
The FBI has jurisdiction over 200 different categories of federal law. Each month the Albany field office chalks up a wide range of arrests and convictions. In February 2013 alone, their superior investigative work resulted in the conviction of owners of a securities brokerage for securities fraud. In addition, they have brought indictments against a serial bank robber, child pornographer, physician accused of health care fraud, embezzler, internet scammer and drug traffickers.