In addition to fulfilling a variety of national security and major crime functions, the Federal Bureau of Investigations also supports its own independent Police force. These uniformed FBI Police Officers act as security personnel for FBI facilities, information and personnel. These highly skilled officers are present to deter and prevent any terrorist or criminal activity targeting FBI assets.
The Unique Places Where FBI Police Officers Serve
The FBI Police force provides around-the-clock protection and monitoring of key FBI installations including the FBI Academy, National Headquarters, Field Offices and National Crime Information Center. These officers conduct patrols around the grounds and within structures to ensure that no trespassers are present. They also monitor the entrances to ensure that only authorized personnel are granted access to the building. They may coordinate with various administrative managers to ensure that all equipment and goods entering the facility have received authorization. At some facilities, FBI Police Officers may employ canine units to perform important search and monitoring responsibilities.
Outside of major facilities, FBI Police Officer may provide critical support and security functions for key personnel and events. FBI Police have been involved in providing additional security at major conferences, meetings and national events like the Super Bowl. The role for officers at these events are to utilize established protocols to detect, identify, apprehend or neutralize terrorist or criminal actors who wish to disrupt or interfere with scheduled events. Officers may provide bodyguard and surveillance duties for FBI personnel who are traveling or attending these events.
FBI Police Officer Job Description
FBI Police Officers must be willing and able to perform the following responsibilities:
- Maintain law and order
- Protect employees and visitors to FBI facilities
- Prevent and respond to theft, fire, trespass or accident
- Identify and apprehend individuals attempting a terrorist attack upon FBI buildings, personnel or assets
- Ensure that all visitors and packages are properly authorized for entry
- Monitor infrastructure and grounds for potential weaknesses
- Utilize and monitor communications equipment and electronics intrusion systems
- Arrest and detain suspects who have violated security protocols or other laws
- Maintain proper records of visitors and goods deliveries
- Attend required training and information update seminars
- Safeguard the public and key personnel during travel or attendance of major events
- Testify in court about the actions of personnel and suspects
FBI Police Officer Salary and Job Benefits
FBI Police Officers may enter the bureau at the GS-5, GS-6, GS-7 or GS-8 pay level. The salary ranges for these pay ratings in 2012 were as follows:
In addition to the base salary, the salary may be adjusted to reflect the cost of living. Some FBI Police Officers may also receive Administratively Uncontrollable Overtime (AUO) which is an additional 25 percent of the base salary if their job requires significant overtime and around-the-clock availability. Otherwise, most FBI Police jobs receive overtime at 50 percent above hourly wage.
FBI Police Officers also receive a generous benefits package that includes the following features:
- Federal Employees Health Benefits Program (FEHB) comes with the option of vision and dental coverage
- Federal Employees Group Life Insurance Program ( FEGLI)
- Federal Long Term Care Insurance Program ( FLTCIP) provides benefits that defray rehabilitation and nursing home care
- Federal Flexible Spending Account Program (FSAFEDS) allows employees to deposit tax-free income for medical and dependent care expenses
- Federal Employees Compensation Act ( FECA) provides benefits if injured or disabled while at work
- Federal Employee Retirement System Life Insurance Benefits (FERS) provides additional life insurance benefits
- Employee Benevolent Fund delivers added coverage if the employee dies during employment
- FBI Professional Staff FERS allows full retirement after 20 to 30 years of services
- Federal Thrift Savings Plan is the federal government equivalency to a 401k
- Between 13 and 26 personal leave days per year in addition to 10 paid holidays
- Tuition reimbursement
For more information on how to become a police officer in the FBI, click here.