Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) Special Agents working under the jurisdiction of the Atlanta Field Office are responsible for covering cases occurring in the entire state of Georgia. FBI jobs in Atlanta, Georgia may be found within the Atlanta Field Office or its 13 satellite offices.
Georgia consists of almost 58,000 square miles, making it the largest state east of the Mississippi River. Those holding FBI jobs in Atlanta and its satellite offices must cover cases occurring in all 159 counties in the state of Georgia.
- Grand Canyon University - B.S. in Justice Studies and M.S. in Criminal Justice
- SNHU - A.S. in Criminal Justice, B.S. in Criminal Justice - Criminology, and M.S. in Criminal Justice
- Liberty University - Online Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice
- Strayer University - Bachelors of Science Degree in Criminal Justice
- Saint Joseph's University - Online Master of Science in Criminal Justice
- Utica College - BS and MS Degrees in Cyber Intelligence, Cybercrime Instigations, Monitoring and Surveillance, Fraud and Financial Crime Investigation, Criminal Intelligence Analysis, and more.
How to Become an FBI Special Agent in Atlanta, GA: Training and Degree Requirements
Georgia residents who wish to hold FBI jobs may look at the responsibilities of special agents, linguists, intelligence analysts and more career opportunities that may be available in the Atlanta Field Office and/or its 13 resident agencies. In order to become an FBI Special Agent in Atlanta, Georgia, one must possess integrity, bravery and fidelity. Critical skills that are expected of all FBI Special Agents and which the FBI looks for when hiring include:
- Written communication
- Oral communication
- Information evaluation
- Decision making
- Interpersonal communication
- Organization, prioritizing and planning
FBI special agents in Atlanta are subject to the Office of Personnel Management (OPM)’s locality pay increase of 15.10 percent. This means that the starting salary of an FBI special agent in Atlanta as of 2013 equals approximately $50,000.
FBI Field Offices and Jobs in Atlanta, GA
- Atlanta (Field Office): FBI special agents in the Atlanta Field Office are responsible for cases occurring in 17 counties in Georgia. Notable cases from the Atlanta field office have concerned drug trafficking, identity theft, and fraud.
- Valdosta (Resident Agency): The Valdosta satellite office covers cases in nine Georgia counties. Armed bank robberies and drug dealing are just a few of the kinds of cases Valdosta FBI agents have dealt with.
- Thomasville (Resident Agency): Agents in the Thomasville office are responsible for covering 10 counties in Georgia. These agents have covered cases concerning health care fraud and fraudulent driver’s license schemes.
- Statesboro (Resident Agency): Twelve Georgia counties are the milieu of FBI agents in the Statesboro office. Wire fraud and Ponzi schemes are just two of the types of cases recently investigated in the Statesboro office.
- Rome (Resident Agency): FBI agents in Rome must cover nine Georgia counties. The Rome office FBI agents have recently covered child pornography and timber fraud cases.
- Macon (Resident Agency): Twenty counties in Georgia are the jurisdiction of FBI agents in the Macon office. Credit union embezzlement and using the Internet to try to entice a child into sexual activity are two topics of recent concern to Macon FBI agents.
- Gainesville (Resident Agency): Gainesville agents must cover cases occurring in 12 Georgia counties. A recent notable Gainesville cases involved marijuana trafficking.
- Dalton (Resident Agency): Agents in Dalton are responsible for eight counties in Georgia. Recently, two methamphetamine dealers in Dalton were sent to federal prison as the result of an FBI investigation.
- Columbus (Resident Agency): Twelve Georgia counties are the responsibility of Columbus FBI agents. A Columbus pediatrician was recently arrested for child pornography after an FBI investigation.
- Augusta (Resident Agency): FBI agents in Augusta cover 11 Georgia counties. An Augusta businesswoman was recently arraigned on federal fraud charges.
- Athens (Resident Agency): Athens FBI agents cover 10 counties in Georgia. The senior manager of a healthcare company in Athens recently plead guilty to federal healthcare fraud.
- Albany (Resident Agency): Twelve Georgia counties are under the jurisdiction of FBI agents in Albany. A recent notable case from the Albany office involved charges of conspiracy of bribing a bank officer.
- Brunswick (Resident Agency): FBI agents in the Brunswick office cover 10 Georgia counties. Recent cases from the Brunswick office involved drug trafficking and murder.