Phoenix is the largest city in Arizona and a major hub of immigration and trade in the region. The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) field office, which is the state headquarters for the Bureau, is located in Phoenix for that very reason. The field office supports FBI jobs in Phoenix for all operations conducted in the state and oversees 15 counties and the Grand Canyon National Park. Along with those areas, the Phoenix field office also supervises a group of smaller offices- known as satellite offices or residential agencies.
The satellite offices span the entire state and are located in the following areas:
- Lake Havasu
- Sierra Vista
- Strayer University - Bachelors of Science Degree in Criminal Justice
- Saint Joseph's University - Online Master of Science in Criminal Justice
- Utica College - BS and MS Degrees in Cyber Intelligence, Cybercrime Instigations, Monitoring and Surveillance, Fraud and Financial Crime Investigation, Criminal Intelligence Analysis, and more.
FBI Jobs Available in Phoenix, AZ
Since Arizona is located near the Mexico border, FBI jobs for agents located in the state are highly demanding. The priority for the FBI in the state is to ensure national security, especially since the terrorist attacks that happened on September 11, 2001. FBI in Phoenix are separated into a variety of teams, which each specialized in certain areas of investigation.
Evidence Response Team: The Arizona FBI has four evidence response teams located in Phoenix, Tucson, Gallup and Flagstaff. Evidence response team jobs involve being responsible for collecting, recording and analyzing evidence obtained at crime scenes. The Special Agents in these teams are each highly-trained in certain areas of investigation and evidence analysis. The agents are responsible for taking photographs of crime scenes, analyzing evidence collected at the scenes (both physical and material) and operating laboratories in order to assist local law enforcement.
Tactical Support: This area of the FBI is made-up of Specialized Weapons and Tactics (SWAT) teams. These teams are responsible for operating open-air assaults, hostage negotiations and retrievals, stronghold assaults, the apprehension of armed and dangerous criminals, breaching locks and barricaded buildings and ending car chases, among many other tasks. These team members have been deployed all across the state, the country and overseas in Afghanistan, Iraq and Africa.
Bomb Recovery and Analysis: These specialists analyze explosive materials and render them safe if need be. They respond to bomb threats and calls related to suspicious packages or materials left in public spaces.
Translation: The state of Arizona is made-up of one of the largest Mexican populations in the entire United States. These agents are responsible for translating documents and evidence, as well as conducting interviews with witnesses and suspects that do not speak English, or do not speak it as well as their native language.
Recent FBI Activity in the State
- 2.15.2013: Apprehended a Customs Agent who smuggled more than 1,500 pounds of marijuana into the country from Mexico.
- 2.7.2013: The arrest of the “Dynamite Bandit.”
- 2.6.2013: A violent drug dealer in the region was sentenced to 15 years in prison.
- 1.29.2013: A gang member is sentenced to 15 years in prison for killing a rival gang member.