The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) investigates issues concerning national security and helps to protect the United States from terrorism and foreign spies. Additionally, FBI agents fight problems at home, including public corruption, violent crime, crime organizations, civil rights violations, and white-collar crime.
The FBI has a Field Office in Charlotte, North Carolina. FBI jobs in North Carolina may be located in this office, or in one of the seven satellite offices in Wilmington, Raleigh, Greensboro, Hickory, Greenville, Fayetteville and Asheville.
Careers in the FBI in North Carolina are available for dedicated persons wishing to become FBI Special Agents. Analysts and agents work together in the state on various projects, including the North Carolina Information Sharing and Analysis Center (NCISAAC), providing intelligence support on terroristic and other threats against the United States. Other career opportunities found at the FBI offices in North Carolina include the Charlotte Joint Terrorism Task Force; the North Carolina Human Trafficking Task Force; Safe Streets Task Forces in Raleigh, Greensboro and Charlotte; and the FBI Strategic Partnerships Program.
How to Become an FBI Special Agent in North Carolina: Training and Degree Requirements
A North Carolina resident who is a U.S. citizen and has been a resident of this country for three of the past five years may wish to apply to become an FBI special agent in North Carolina. If an applicant has a valid driver’s license and six months of driving history, at least a bachelor’s degree, is between 23 and 36.5 years of age, and has three years of professional work experience, the FBI may accept his or her application to become a special agent.
The FBI gives preference to applicants with specific education and experience, such as:
- Degrees preferred:
- Computer science/information systems (and variations thereof)
- Applied mathematics
- Electrical, software or computer engineering
- Web development
- Cyber security
- Experience preferred:
- Network traffic analysis
- Network security auditing
- Computer software development
- Cyber investigations
- Ethical hacking
If an applicant speaks, reads and writes another language fluently, this may exempt him or her from the experience requirement. Languages sought by the FBI in 2013 include Russian, Farsi, Chinese, Spanish, Punjabi, Pashto, Urdu, Arabic and Korean.
FBI Field Offices and Jobs in North Carolina
Charlotte- Field Office/Division Headquarters: FBI agents working at the Charlotte field office are responsible for crimes occurring in the counties of Union, Stanly, Montgomery, Mecklenburg, Gaston, Cleveland, Cabarrus, and Anson in North Carolina.
- Asheville: FBI agents in the Asheville satellite office work crimes that happen in the counties of Yancey, Transylvania, Swain, Rutherford, Polk, Mitchell, McDowell, Madison, Macon, Jackson, Henderson, Haywood, Graham, Clay, Cherokee, and Buncombe in North Carolina, as well as the Cherokee Indian Reservation.
- Raleigh: Agents working out of the Raleigh satellite office cover crimes that occur in the counties of Wilson, Warren, Wake, Vance, Person, Orange, Nash, Lee, Johnston, Harnett, Halifax, Granville, Franklin, Durham, and Chatham in North Carolina.
- Hickory: Hickory FBI agents cover the North Carolina counties Wilkes, Watauga, Lincoln, Iredell, Catawba, Caldwell, Burke, Avery, Ashe, Alleghany, and Alexander.
- Wilmington: FBI agents in the Wilmington office cover Pender, Onslow, New Hanover, Jones, Duplin, Columbus, Craven, Carteret, Camp LeJeune, Brunswick and Bladen counties in North Carolina.
- Greensboro: Greensboro FBI agents work cases in Yadkin, Surry, Stokes, Rowan, Rockingham, Randolph, Guilford, Forsyth, Davie, Davidson, Caswell and Alamance counties in North Carolina.
- Fayetteville: Fayetteville FBI agents cover the counties of Scotland, Sampson, Robeson, Richmond, Moore, Hoke, and Cumberland in North Carolina as well as Pope Air Force Base and Fort Bragg.
- Greenville: FBI agents in Greenville, North Carolina cover cases inWayne, Washington, Tyrrell, Pitt, Perquimans, Pasquotank, Pamlico, Northampton, Martin, Lenoir, Hyde, Hertford, Greene, Gates, Edgecombe, Dare, Currituck, Chowan, Camden Beaufort and Bertie counties.
FBI jobs in North Carolina that may be available include:
- Special Agent
- Intelligence Analyst
- Surveillance Specialist
- Divisions within North Carolina in which FBI Special Agents work:
- Computer analyst
- Tactical support
- Bomb technician
- Evidence response team
- Hazardous materials