FBI jobs in Idaho are managed through the FBI Salt Lake Division, which is also responsible for Utah and Montana. There are 135 counties in total throughout these three states that are under the responsibility of the Salt Lake Division.
Within Idaho there are five Resident Agencies (There are a total of 19 Resident Agencies in the Salt Lake City Division.):
- Boise – The FBI Boise Resident Agency, which is located on West Main Street, is responsible for the Idaho Counties of:
- Coeur d’Alene – The FBI Resident Agency of Coeur d’Alene, which is located on West Riverstone Drive, is responsible for the following Idaho Counties:
- Idaho Falls – The FBI Resident Agency of Idaho Falls, which is located on Riverwalk Drive, is responsible for overseeing the following Idaho counties:
- Lewiston – The FBI Resident Agency in Lewiston, which is located on Nez Perce Drive, is responsible for overseeing the Idaho Counties of:
- Nez Perce
- Pocatello – The FBI Resident Agency of Pocatello, Idaho, oversees the following Idaho Counties:
- Bear Lake
- Twin Falls
The FBI Salt Lake City Division and the Idaho Resident Agencies of Boise, Coeur d’Alene, Idaho Falls, Lewiston, and Pocatello played a major role in the following headlines in Idaho in the past few years:
- September 2011 – Idaho Falls Man Sentenced in $29 Million Loss Ponzi Scheme
- September 2012 – Investigation Leads to Indictment of 21 People on Gun and Drug Charges
- October 2012 – Man Arrested in Idaho for $20 Million Investment Fraud
- November 2012 – Indictment Charges in Eastern Idaho Drug Trafficking Conspiracy
- February 2013 – Woman Sentenced for Trafficking Cocaine in Northern Idaho
How to Become an FBI Agent in Idaho: FBI Requirements in Idaho
FBI jobs in Idaho include a comprehensive group of highly trained, skilled and dedicated professionals who are capable of handling any number of situations involving criminal activities or cases of national security. FBI careers in Idaho include the following high-level specialist jobs:
- Financial Analysts
- Language Specialists
- Support Services Technicians
- FBI Special Agents
- Investigative Specialists
- Intelligence Analysts
- Security Experts
- Electronics Technicians
FBI Agents in Idaho may work within specialized units or teams, which include:
- Evidence Response Teams – There are a number of Evidence Response Teams stationed in Utah, Idaho, and Montana.
- FBI Language Specialists – There are 51 professional linguists in the Salt Lake City Division who are skilled in 18 languages and 33 dialects.
- Regional Computer Forensics Laboratory – Idaho is served by the Intermountain West RCFL, which consists of Forensic Examiners skilled in retrieving evidence from digital devices.
- Hazardous Materials (HAZMAT) Team
- SWAT Team and Hostage Rescue Team – The Salt Lake City Division has 25 members in its SWAT Team.
- Special Agent Bomb Technicians
- FBI Victim Assistance Program
Individuals who want to learn how to become an FBI Agent in Idaho; work as one of the above FBI Agent professions; or work within one of the above FBI teams or units must have a strong grasp of the FBI requirements set forth by the FBI. In particular, all candidates for employment with the Bureau must:
- Be U.S. citizens or citizens of the Northern Mariana Islands
- Be between the ages of 27 and 34 (age requirements may be waived for Veterans)
- Be available and willing to work in any one of the FBI’s jurisdictions
- Hold a four-year degree from an accredited college or university
- Have at least 3 years of professional work experience
Individuals must also pass an FBI background check, medical evaluation (which includes a vision and hearing test), and a physical fitness evaluation. Further, candidates with a felony conviction or male candidates who failed to register with Selective Services are not eligible for employment with the FBI. Individuals who use illicit drugs and individuals who defaulted on a student loan are also not eligible for employment.
All candidates seeking FBI jobs in Idaho must qualify for one of the Special Agents categories to be considered for employment:
- Computer Science/Information Technology